Sunday, June 28, 2009

Roller Derby Fun!


I joined a roller derby league two years ago and have become one of the original members that have stuck it out for so long. I decided that it was a lot of work for me at my current weight as I wasn't able to get past very basic skills due to a lack of balance, knee strength and a general too heaviness about me. I figured if I continued to attempt it at my weight, I would eventually hurt myself.

We had a scrimmage last night. I was keeping score and watching the girls skate around me. It's a really awesome sport with great people. I haven't lost the dream of skating again or being on this great team of women.

It's hard to be so heavy and uncomfortable enough to disengage myself from something that's very enjoyable. Allowing my weight to come in the way of how I want to live my life is absolutely shitty. I realize what happened every time that I have lost weight and gained it back. I can only use that knowledge now to stay away from those reasons.

I will skate again. I will be a great blocker - knocking chicks down without them knowing what hit 'em. I'm always going to be big and I'm perfectly happy with that - but I'd rather be an "overweight" big with muscles than an "obese" big with fat.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Totally. You're very tall with a large frame. Yes, you will probably be on the heavier side, but you really won't be overweight. Can you imagine life at a normal weight? It's gonna be awesome. :)